Sooty returns to TV at the age of 65 in bid to attract new generation of fans with Sunday morning show.
- Glove puppet has been entertaining children since 1952
- Harry Corbett bought him from a novelty shop in Blackpool
- Richard Cadell, 44, took over the show in 1999
- Says Sooty works because it is ‘old-fashioned slapstick humour’
Read the full article in the Daily Mail: click here
*** Richard Cadell is available for interview in connection with Sooty turning 65***
- He might be turning 65 this month but Sooty has no intention of hanging up his magic wand just yet!
- With the current series of the Sooty Show riding high for CITV, he has just finished filming a new series at his home in the village of Brean, Somerset and has no plans to retire when he gets his bus pass on 19th July.
The perfect poster boy for the government’s drive to keep the nation working for longer, Sooty looks as good today as he did 65 years ago when Harry Corbett bought him for the princely sum of 7s6d on Blackpool’s North Pier.
His current show is CITV’s most popular pre-school show and with a new clothing range in the pipeline and a whole host of celebrities including Joe Pasquale, Amy Childs and Caroline Quentin lined up to appear alongside him, the little bear shows no signs of slowing down now that he has reached the age of retirement.
Unfortunately Sooty didn’t return our calls (although we did receive a few silent messages earlier in the week), but we did manage to speak to his current business partner Richard Cadell who stars alongside him in the Sooty Show “I don’t know where he gets his energy from. I suppose in Teddy Bear years he is only 5 and having spent a lot of time with him lately filming the new series I think that’s probably an accurate reflection of his true age.”
“He just can’t help himself when it comes to practical jokes, only this morning I found him hiding one of Sweep’s bones in Soo’s bed and there’s never a day goes by when I don’t get caught out by a flying custard pie or squirt from his water pistol. I guess that must be his secret, he’ll always be young at heart!”
True to form, Sooty has a packed summer ahead of him with residences at Butlins, Pontins and Cadbury World, after which he’ll begin rehearsals for his hugely popular live Christmas show in London’s West End.
For more information please contact Siobhan at Connor PR firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel 07966 177025
Notes to editors:
The Sooty Show transmits weekdays on Citv at 9.10 am
The new series starts in September on itv 1 Sunday mornings and Citv.